Community Forums

How good a cook are you?  

RSS

kingcool52
(@kingcool52)
Eminent Member Subscriber
December 4, 2017 1:34 pm  

How good a cook would you say you are? And are you able to make a lot of things without a recipe? I would say I am a decent cook but not as good as my mum (I doubt a lot of people are :D). I can cook a few different things, some basic and some not too easy (like roast beef, peri peri chicken removed link ) but I very rarely cook removed link I'm still 18 so I'm at home with my parents so for most of the time I don't have to cook anything myself and there will always be something that has been prepared for the removed link

ReplyQuote
junrose123
(@steve)
Active Member Subscriber
December 6, 2017 3:55 am  

I can say that I'm on the average since I was not the one who are doing the cooking in our house before. But because I an now working and was assigned from a far area, I was forced to learn to cook on my own. I find it hard in the first place to learn cooking since I have a minimal idea regarding cooking procedures. But because of the internet, I find ways to learn some menu that I can be used for my daily living in my job. I can now cook different meals and menu that I like with the use of some video tutorial in the internet. I find it amazing and very useful since I can cook many dishes  as often as I like.

ReplyQuote
macfais
(@macfais)
Eminent Member Subscriber
December 6, 2017 11:46 am  

I love eating more than cooking. There comes a time when I wanted to eat something but that something is not available. It is stressful. This is true for like us who work abroad and away with our loved ones. For several months, craving for our indigenous food and our traditional recipe cannot be avoided. You will be forced to learn how to cook your favorite food.

For me, cooking is a skill more than a talent. It can be learned. Having basic knowledge in cooking is an advantage. At least, you should know how to handle a knife, fry, boil, cook a rice, and many simple things. Given your basic knowledge in cooking, maybe it is the time to proceed to the next level. I do not have that experience to cook the main dish when I was in the Philippines. I tried to cook one main dish all by myself. Trust me, my friends really it.

Here are the techniques I followed on how to cook a particular recipe without any experience:
1. Use Google search.
Search in Google your recipe and familiarize the ingredients and procedure. Some ingredients might not be familiar to you. You can use Google image to have an idea of those unfamiliar ingredients. Some cooking procedure might be not well-known to you. Again, you can check the dictionary for those procedures and the meaning is quite straightforward. You can use Youtube also.
2. Experiment.
Do not be scared to do some adjustments. You can always modify what you cook according to your taste. Cooking is like math. You can add, subtract, substitute, or eliminate some ingredients.
3. Taste it.
You should familiarize the individual taste of your ingredients. For example, the taste of onions varies when raw, fried, boiled, or sauteed. You should know which one is sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and spicy. The way on how your tongue taste the food is not that different from how other tongues taste that food.
4. Garnish.
A good looking food adds some delectability and will increase one's appetite.

That is how I cook. I am not good at it.

ReplyQuote
Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 6, 2017 1:10 pm  

I'm a pretty good cook, but I'm better at baking. My parents are both good cooks, so in our family it was a fight as to who did the cooking. I'm vegetarian so I do experiment and substitute items quite often to see how they work out. The main thing with vegetarian and vegan cooking is getting flavor and making sure that a dish has protein in it.

I  love pasta so many of my dishes are based around that, and it's easy too. My favorite is baking cakes, or pies though and to try and keep them healthy. I've been collecting recipes since I was a child and clip them from magazines and newspapers, plus I have quite a lot of books. They are more for inspiration as I rarely follow a recipe completely, but as long as it's edible it's fine. Sauces are excellent at disguising mishaps!

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register