Community Forums

The customer is always right  

RSS

kingcool52
(@kingcool52)
Eminent Member Subscriber
December 5, 2017 5:14 pm  

Quite a debated topic, a lot of employees are told to treat customers as if they are always right. Of course, it's important to treat your customers in a way that does not offend them and ensures that they return to your business in the future. But the problem I have is that the customer is not always right. And this practice of treating them like a fairy princess is wrong because businesses can lose quite a bit by trying to accommodate every request by a customer. There are times where you have to just tell the customer that they are not right and correct them. Anyone agree with this?

ReplyQuote
Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 5, 2017 8:32 pm  

The customer isn't always right, but you have to make it look as if they are in the right. I've been in so many different situations where they aren't in the right, but in a bid to calm them down and keep them happy, you offer them something. The shoe has been on the other foot too though, and when I complained in Bloomingdales that they put the wrong items in my bag and had to get a cab up to to return to the store, they asked me how much my fare was and gave me the money.

Customer service is about keeping the customer happy and if something goes wrong to fix it. If the customer is trying to pull a fast one or being unreasonable, that's when the company can quote the law or their terms and conditions. I worked on a large consumer show and we used to have people coming in to complain about all kinds of things from the quality of the show, to how long they had to queue, and the cost of car parking. It's amazing how complimentary tickets and a program can make things better. We used to keep a stash just for that reason.

When I have complained about services, I do so when a company have made an error. As long as they correct it then I'm fine such as a refund for faulty goods. Sometimes vouchers are given as a way of an apology too, and they do help because most people won't return. Cash is king, and freebies are too. I had a dispute with a company where I bought a face mask and the price went up within a minute of my taking it off the shelf. The staff did nothing but made up an excuse and charged me a higher price that was even displayed , yet the website still was selling the item at the lower price. I complained, and got several apologies from different departments, an offer of a £5 voucher which I rejected, and a free product of my choice in the end. Sometimes the customer is right, and a good company will resolve things, however there are scammers out there, so companies have to keep an eye out for serial complainers or frivolous or bogus claims.

ReplyQuote
junrose123
(@steve)
Active Member Subscriber
December 6, 2017 2:55 am  

Yes I agree with your idea  kingcool52, I also experienced such issue wherein some customers acted like they are always right even though sometimes they even get us offended. I am working for a private company which offer customer service to everyone, I feel disappointed with that idea that customer is always right. I do believe they are important but sometimes they do things that are not already good on our side. I already experienced customers who have some bad  attitude that sometimes would treat you as if they are your slave due too that beliefs. I really feel disappointed regarding on that, but I just understand them and just take patience for them.

ReplyQuote
Timothy Alexander
(@timothyalex)
Member Admin
December 6, 2017 5:31 am  

I think Lexa stated it well with, "The customer isn't always right, but you have to make it look as if they are in the right." There is a certain skill with this. One must have active listening skills (listen to understand, not to respond), be able to acknowledge their feelings, and guild them without ever telling them they are wrong. Most of all, the customer service rep can never allow themselves to take what an angry customer says personally. If the customer service rep becomes frustrated and upset, it only escalates the situation. 

ReplyQuote
junrose123
(@steve)
Active Member Subscriber
December 7, 2017 4:24 pm  

Yes I really agree on your idea sir, if we are into business one should always listen to customers feedback and suggestion whenever they would  insist such ideas. It is always good to avoid getting angry or mad  to customers since it would only  add more complications on the problem itself. I think the best way here to always listen for their needs and trying to understand their preferences since customers are very sensitive and emotionally dependent. Whenever they would feel that they are only taken for granted it would make them less valuable to further stay for that company since they are not being  given adequate importance and would not be coming back again to make business.

ReplyQuote
AmieBotella
(@amiebotella)
Active Member Registered
December 8, 2017 1:07 am  

This has been asked for so many times and WE are always right. I mean, you may have been working on retail or anywhere wherein you give services. But come to think of it, you are also a customer. You purchase things for yourself also. Which makes you a customer that is entitled to complain when needs to be. This phrase must've been created to protect the customers at all times. After all, we're the ones who shed money to buy to the companies, therefore we are expecting that the services rendered are executed properly. While it is also a fact that customers are NOT always right, Lexa is right. You just have to keep them feeling right while rectifying the situation. People can be extremely rude while complaining. And you must always keep your cool minding that this is nothing personal on every anger lashed towards you so you can detach your emotions from it. While there may be outrageous claims on complaints, you just go stick with the basic rules and regulations implemented on your company and the customers' limitations. 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register