Community Forums

Secret Santa  

RSS

Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 5, 2017 5:02 am  

This year I am running a Secret Santa for the members of one of my Facebook groups, and there was a mix of people who wanted to do it, and those who didn't. There was no pressure, but people wanted rules because past experiences have led to shabby gifts and disappointment.

I kept to a small budget (under £10) and said that the items must be bought for the value and not what they are worth, as in regifted or on sale because people will try and pass off things sadly that are allegedly worth more. The idea is to keep it fun, plus also to remember it's about giving and not receiving.

If you get the chance to participate in a Secret Santa would you do it, and if not why not? What I have decided to do is send Secret Elf parcels to all members, including the members who said they couldn't afford it, just small stocking fillers  such as chocolate and some hand cream, because Secret Santa shouldn't be about money and nor should Christmas!

ReplyQuote
Timothy Alexander
(@timothyalex)
Member Admin
December 5, 2017 9:22 am  
Posted by: Lexa

What I have decided to do is send Secret Elf parcels to all members, including the members who said they couldn't afford it, just small stocking fillers  such as chocolate and some hand cream, because Secret Santa shouldn't be about money and nor should Christmas!

That is a very nice act of generosity. I'm not really a big fan of the whole Christmas thing. But, when I hear about even the smallest acts of random kindness and generosity around the holidays, it really fills my heart.

ReplyQuote
kingcool52
(@kingcool52)
Eminent Member Subscriber
December 7, 2017 2:47 pm  

That sounds great and hopefully, the members of your Facebook group that are participating in the Secret Santa can enjoy the gifts that they receive and give great presents to those they are allocated. I have personally never taken part in a Secret Santa because I have never bothered to try it and I just never thought that I would actually get anything decent from it so it never really interested me. I was actually very close to signing up to the Reddit Secret Santa this year but I didn't in the end because the chances of getting something disappointed would be even higher.

ReplyQuote
Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 8, 2017 2:02 pm  

I've had to post an update with members not to say they have posted any parcels as it kind of gives it away if someone gets one a few days later. Because I am doing a secret elf that only the admin knows about, people are going to get confused when they get the parcels so I'm waiting for that to happen, and thinking of what I can say. I may just plead ignorance!

I used to run a grotto in London (a major one) and we had gifts to give the kids of different ages and many couldn't wait and ripped them open as soon as they got out of the grotto. You'll be surprised that the parents were the ones whining (even though the grotto was free and sponsored by the shopping mall) and the kids loved whatever toys were in the secret gifts. I remember one moaning it was the same cuddly toy as last year, and we were all saying under our breath, "it's free," what more do some people want? That kind of attitude annoys me, but I have put chocolate in all parcels which never fails.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register