Community Forums

Hand sanitizers and wet wipes to avoid germs  

RSS

Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 6, 2017 4:32 pm  

I'm a huge advocate of prevention rather than cure, and in particular to prevent germs from spreading.  I'm not quite as bad as Sheldon in Big Bang Theory in regards to using hand sanitizer, but some may say I'm close. Hand sanitizer does contain alcohol (to kill the germs) so using it too often can make the hands dry, so always use hand cream too

Personally I prefer to use wet wipes and then as soon as I can, good old soap and hot water does the trick. I use my knuckle to press buttons on elevators or on street crossings if I'm not wearing gloves, because it's better safe than sorry. In the supermarket, I use a wet wipe after I have used a cart or basket. My dad recently was ill and ended up in hospital from catching a chest infection, and we think it was from using a supermarket cart as he had no other contact with people when he fell ill. I always make him wear gloves and wipe down the handles before he touches them (he recently had a heart operation and has a weak immune system), and sometimes I catch him taking them off and tell him off.

I know some people may think it extreme, but I always carry wet wipes with me to keep my hands clean, and always throw away old tissues as they harbor germs. Preventing illness by avoiding germs is the best way to stay healthy, so invest in baby wipes and keep a pack in your bag as you never know how useful they can be.

ReplyQuote
macfais
(@macfais)
Eminent Member Subscriber
December 13, 2017 11:40 am  

Someone told me before that being too clean is not good. They said that you have to expose yourself with dirt sometimes to strengthen your immune system. Anyone who has an explanation for this? Or is it just a myth?

ReplyQuote
Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 13, 2017 3:56 pm  
Posted by: macfais

Someone told me before that being too clean is not good. They said that you have to expose yourself with dirt sometimes to strengthen your immune system. Anyone who has an explanation for this? Or is it just a myth?

Your immune system doesn't quite work like that, and when 'they' say expose yourself to germs they mean children who will catch things to build up immunity. Exposing yourself to dirt isn't a good idea, and thee days there are so many strains of germs, is it really worth the risk?

Those with compromised immune systems are the elderly, those with long term illnesses, and those who have a poor diet and are more likely to catch illnesses and not recover from them. However, people can also get secondary illnesses, for example if you have the flu, and you don't get better, you can catch other illnesses much faster than a healthy person.

Prevention is better than cure, and if you take antibiotics then your immune system is likely to be weakened already.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register