Community Forums

Etiquette. Do they change or not?  

RSS

AmieBotella
(@amiebotella)
Active Member Registered
December 26, 2017 1:46 am  

When I was young, I had the opportunity to read a book about etiquette by Emily Post. There are so many points that one must or should do in different situations from greetings down to the everyday manners at home. One of the many things that I learned and still practicing until this day is when I go to funerals. Back in the days, you should wear black clothes if you have them or if not, the darkest one you have to represent the mourning of a loss. I always have this mental note up to this time to never wear vibrant colored clothes when I'm about to go to a wake or funeral. And, you shouldn't go there as if you're coming in to a reunion or something where in there will be loud, lively conversations. One must always note that in the moment of sorrow, that proper etiquette performs its most vital service. These days, though, this is not always the case especially with the clothes we wear during wakes and how we interact to the bereaved family especially when it's someone we're close to.  This is just one example of etiquette that has changed through time. Do you know think the age old basic etiquettes are still good these days? Or better yet, do you think it is still important these days? With so many strongly opinionated people today, it seems that etiquette is just a thing of the past. That we all must exercise the freedom to do whatever we want.

For me, there are tons of etiquettes that may seem too old fashioned to be even followed these days, but on the basic good manners and etiquette, still, Emily Post has noted it best. Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.

I believe that our actions really are what define us accurately and that it is still important to be observing the age old proper decorum at all the times. What are your thoughts?

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register