Community Forums

Looking after the elderly  

RSS

Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 11, 2017 10:05 am  

People always think looking after the elderly is easier than looking after children, but it's actually harder. My friend thinks I have lots of time because I am helping looking after my father, but it's much harder when they want to try and do things, but then can't. It's different from a child that is learning, but for an adult who used to be able to do things and now can't, mentally it can be difficult to cope with.

There has to be a balance in letting them be independent but not to put themselves at risk. That includes falls, or dropping items, or forgetting to do things such as not switching off the cooker. Today, as people live longer there needs to be more provisions for helping the elderly to live independently as many do not want to go into a care home. There are lots of home aids to help, but I think people do need to understand it can be hard work physically and mentally for those caring for them.

ReplyQuote
Timothy Alexander
(@timothyalex)
Member Admin
December 11, 2017 1:44 pm  

This is where I get to brag about my kids. My oldest boy (now 27) volunteered to move in with his maternal grandfather when he started to struggle, and did so for the last few years of his grandfather's life. Now, my oldest daughter spends 4 full days a week to be the caregiver of her great-grandparents (on my mother's side) who are both in their 90s. It just amazes me how eager they were to step up.

I sympathize with your situation. Taking care of the elderly is extremely hard work.

ReplyQuote
Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 11, 2017 3:44 pm  
Posted by: Timothy Alexander

This is where I get to brag about my kids. My oldest boy (now 27) volunteered to move in with his maternal grandfather when he started to struggle, and did so for the last few years of his grandfather's life. Now, my oldest daughter spends 4 full days a week to be the caregiver of her great-grandparents (on my mother's side) who are both in their 90s. It just amazes me how eager they were to step up.

I sympathize with your situation. Taking care of the elderly is extremely hard work.

Your kids are a credit to you. Of course we could pay for a carer, but with the exception of a few who can you trust to look after your family as well as yourself? My friend is one of seven, but her mother who is 81, only likes two of her children to help her because she trusts them and they are patient.

I know many elderly people are very proud and they don't want help so having a family member do it seems less like help officially. At least you know if you need help, your kids have experience and will take good care of you when you are older.

ReplyQuote
joey_2tep
(@joey_2tep)
New Member Registered
December 11, 2017 9:53 pm  

I strongly  believe that elderly is much harder to take care of than children. Children will be children but elderly acting like a child is a different story. We have an Aunt who suffered from stroke and she really needs extra care from us. I would say it has been challenging from our side because we really need her to cooperate but most of the time she disagrees. Unlike a child who just listens and remembers all what he needs to do. I would say the love, care and effort need to be tripled to get things done properly.

ReplyQuote
Timothy Alexander
(@timothyalex)
Member Admin
December 12, 2017 6:45 am  

While it can be tough, I think family taking care of family is really the best way to go. My wife spent 15 years working in a nursing facility. They are so many people just placed in a home and almost forgotten, rarely receiving visitors if ever. Several years ago, my grandmother had to spend time in a nursing home. Every day, for several months, she received visitors. We didn't think anything of it. But, it was so unusual that we regularly received compliments from staff and other residents.  

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register