Community Forums

Brexit  

RSS

Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 7, 2017 4:26 am  

In the UK, we are all waiting for the EU to agree to a deal and get Brexit done or at least officially started. Most people know that the EU unofficially aren't happy about having the UK leave because it's a huge chunk of money they will be losing, so in a bid to sweeten things, Theresa May has agreed to pay more than we are obligated to, but somehow it still doesn't seem enough. I just don't know what the EU wants except to make the UK suffer? A deal was never going to be easy, but all sides should be willing to negotiate fairly and not dig their heels in until they get what they want and then not give anything back.

I'm glad we will be leaving the EU which has become dictatorial of late, and never have been a fan of either. The original concept of trading partners was fine because all countries do that, but when they decided to change laws and tried to make us drive on the other side of the road it was too much. Many people who oppose Brexit aren't looking at the bigger picture IMHO, it's not about how it affects you but the country. I was glad to see some expats voted for Brexit even though it would affect them because they understood it wasn't about them, but the future governance of the country. Some are still deluded in thinking Brexit won't happen, but the process is in place, and I wish the media would support the government rather than attack them in this because it's just making it harder to get a decent deal.

ReplyQuote
Timothy Alexander
(@timothyalex)
Member Admin
December 7, 2017 3:46 pm  

I'm glad you guys are leaving too. The EU is just a bunch of bureaucrats who need to touch stuff in order to justify their existence. That said, I do think a united Europe is a good idea. Don't Churchill say he wanted to see a United States of Europe? Maybe I'm misremembering. Regardless, that would be a real economic power. The way things are going, we will see a united North America before a truly united Europe. 

ReplyQuote
Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 7, 2017 6:26 pm  

You are correct in Chucrhill saying "A United States of Europe" but the context was more about keeping the peace and working together. The USA is made up of self governing states, and the federal government is supposed to only intervene as and when necessary, as state laws still apply. What the EU was doing is making their laws part of all the other members states laws, and culture wise that created conflict and domestic courts were rendered weak.

Only today apparently the EU have issued another warning saying if the UK doesn't back down then they will impose penalties later on against the UK. I've never seen so much bullying, and I don't understand why any remainers can't see it either. I do have friends who thought remain was a good idea including my mother and brother, despite my trying to educate them. I've been studying the EEC and EU for over 30 years and written two dissertations on why it is a bad idea, and why the UK should leave (all before Brexit) and it's about control of the country, although mass migration I admit pushed many to vote for Brexit rather than the legal issues. Their reasons for remaining are usually selfish ones such as wanting to work or study abroad without having to do any paperwork. The thing is, most people that say these things never do them otherwise they would realize there is still paperwork to do, but just less of it.

ReplyQuote
Timothy Alexander
(@timothyalex)
Member Admin
December 7, 2017 6:52 pm  

The UE is afraid that if the UK actually leaves that everything collapses. When they act like they are protecting a house of cards, they probably are. 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register