Community Forums

Is forcing people to use apps good for business?  

RSS

Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 7, 2017 5:47 am  

Apps are cheaper to run, and the business always benefits as they have the money upfront when they sell items or if they use it for mobile ticketing. However, is it better for the consumer if they don't have any other choice? Recently, my local bus company have put up the ticket prices, but kept the price on the app thereby forcing people to use an app if they don't want to pay a higher fare. Is that fair or right?

There are the usual issues, what if there is no wi-fi and the app can't be accessed or if the app isn't working? Then you have no ticket and either have to pay again and have a useless ticket paid for on an app. The same is for discounts and deals on apps only, you may choose to go somewhere with a deal, then the app breaks or the company shut down the deal without any notice. Again this happened to me as I tried to redeem a birthday reward and the app was broken, so I didn't bother and went elsewhere to buy a coffee.

Although I have apps, I loather them because good old paper is safer and you know where you stand. I'm also reluctant to buy on an app for that reason or add money to a wallet on an app. I do think companies need to think about giving fair options because not everyone has a smartphone or can afford to have unlimited data as apps eat away at that.

ReplyQuote
Timothy Alexander
(@timothyalex)
Member Admin
December 7, 2017 3:54 pm  

It is not quite the same thing, but I love using Samsung Pay. However, more and more large retailers, convenience store chains, and other businesses have decided to disable their credit card matins from accepting phone payment.  (Side note, that does kill Apple Pay and Android Pay, but Samsung Pay still works.) Anyway, they want you to use their app. This is so they can track your buying habits and send targeting marketing. For me, all it does is make me not want to shop there. 

ReplyQuote
Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 7, 2017 6:31 pm  

An update on my using an app for my bus ticket today; it went okay, but the app kept closing and I had to reopen it, then there was no wi-fi reception and the app wouldn't work. I was fortunate that the app worked and there was wi-fi when I was boarding the buses, and that the drivers were laid back and barely glanced at my phone.

I did have to agree the let the app access all my information which I wasn't happy about, but there was no choice as it wouldn't work otherwise. I don't store much on my phone for this reason because I don't see why they need that information; all they need is my card number and my name surely to buy a bus ticket?

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register