Community Forums

Free vs Premium Hosting  

RSS

Jason00
(@jason00)
Active Member Registered
December 5, 2017 12:37 am  

Free hosting's main advantage is that it's removed link   Can anyone think of more?  However, the disadvantages are things like limited resources, advertisements, and limited and/or pay-by-case removed link   Anyway, the resource and support thing is an issue when the free hosting company is ad-free, the type most visitors removed link

Anyway, I think free hosting can work for some small website with little traffic, assuming it wants an ad-free removed link   However, if someone doesn't mind ads, then using someone else's ads to pay for hosting might be a good removed link

ReplyQuote
Lexa
 Lexa
(@lexa)
Trusted Member Subscriber
December 5, 2017 7:31 am  

I use free hosting for a few sites that I don't add much content, but am aware that they can pull it at anytime. It is with Hostinger and they have since pulled free hosting due to abuse, but have allowed existing sites to continue to be hosted. It was a good deal at the time, and even allowed email which earlier this year they pulled too due to again abuse. The sites do get downtime every now and then, and it's not ideal, but even my paid hosting can get downtime. The only difference is because you pay, you can send a support ticket and complain, you can't when it's free.

One thing I will say with free hosting is to watch the bandwidth usage as I had one that was removed for excessive use. I suspect it was hackers trying to get in, which is why even if it's only a holding page protect any login pages with a different URL, or lock out failed attempts ,or blacklist IP addresses. You can find that small bandwidth  on free hosting sites exceeded pretty fast with lots of attacks on a site.

ReplyQuote
kingcool52
(@kingcool52)
Eminent Member Subscriber
December 9, 2017 3:51 pm  

When I first got into websites, blogs and forums I used free hosting because of the fact that I didn't really want to spend any money but after a while, I moved onto premium hosting because it's just so much better. The only real advantage of free hosting is that its free and it helps you save a lot of money. Other than that, it's just awful really. Most of them are extremely unreliable, some put advertisements on your site and some even just delete your account without any proper warming (even if you haven't done anything wrong). 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register